8.05.2012

All things. Together. Good.

This should be an encouraging thing to hear: "You make all things work together for my good" (paraphrased from Romans 8:28 and a line from Your Love Never Fails by Jesus Culture). But lately, hearing that has been a challenge. Things don't seem to be going my way, or good in my opinion. I know this will sound whiney and complain-y of me, but I'll just throw it out there. My current stage of life is boring and lonesome. For once, I would like excitement, something to look forward to, promises that will not be broken, reassurance. I'm guilty of putting people (friends and family) on a pedestal and expecting them to fulfill these longings in my life. They can't. People fail. I know this yet I am continually hurt by it. This week, instead of keeping that frustration in, I shared it with some friends, who both unknowingly gave me words that were comforting and pushed me to accept more of the truth. Truth that I've always known, but sometimes is hurtful to hear.

This morning I begrudgingly pulled myself away from watching the men's final tennis match for the Olympic gold medal (Side note: Woot! Woot! for Andy Murray) to get ready for church. I love going to church, don't get me wrong, but the there was a strong temptation to stay on the couch. Satan has his ways. Anyways, I needed to hear the message today, as I do every time. It was wonderfully encouraging to hear about God's purpose and our misunderstandings and questions that we have when He works in ways we don't see. God is love. Love never fails. Do the math... God never fails. Praying (talking and LISTENING) to our Father and allowing Him control of even the mundane parts of life... He will work all things together for the good of those who love Him. All. Not just the exciting, life-changing parts. He is working right now. And I need to let him.

And of course, my devotional matched up well today. :) "Take time to rest by the wayside, for I am not in a hurry. A leisurely pace accomplishes more than hurried striving. When you rush, you forget who you are and Whose you are" (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young). And the scripture to follow:

Psalm 37:7 "Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes." (sound familiar Bex?)


A friend gave me a card this week that said: "He goes before you (Deuteronomy 31:8), He's right beside you (Hebrews 13:5), He surrounds you on every side (Psalm 125:2)." Hello encouragement! God is good all the time. And though we can't always see it, He is ALWAYS working things together for good. He has fought battles for us and keeps doing so when we ask Him to go along beside us. I'll take the meaningless (to me), mundane life of right now and trust that my loving, all-knowing, good God has it all pieced together.

No comments:

Post a Comment