Class Reunion. Some people shudder at the thought of their class reunion. I, however, was quite elated that the time had come. It has been 5 years since I was a student at Asbury. 5 years! I can't believe it either. I can't believe that I have officially been a "grown-up" for 5 years. The Steadfast class of 2006 (all the classes have a name at Asbury- and colors, hymns and verses) was invited back to reunite with one another.
While Facebook and modern technology allow us to "keep in touch" (or eerily stalk) each other, there's nothing like having real, face-to-face conversations with people who were once an integral part of your life. The amazing thing about it is that we have not been together for 5 years and were able to pick right up where we left our lives, only with grown-up life changes. The past 2 days have felt just like an addition to our 4 years together. We have laughed like crazy. We have shared about our current/past life stages. We have reminisced (or RMNSed) about our favorite memories. We have teared up a little. We have hugged and taken squishy-face pictures. We have played games. We have been Asbury inappropriate... because we can. Life has just been grand.
The greatest part of the reunion for me is hearing how God is working in my friends' lives. The thread that connects us all together is our relationships with God and following His calling in our lives. It is so encouraging to have friendships with people that value their purpose and are intentionally changing lives. Some of my greatest friendships are with my friends from Asbury. We have such a strong connection that even years apart can't separate us.
Love my Asbury friends! Thank you Steadfast class for such an amazing weekend. :)
Nance, very well said! I feel the same way. Such an energizing and uplifting weekend, but yet so bittersweet ya' know??
ReplyDelete