3.21.2011

To be a Buckeye or a Wildcat?

Ok... well the long awaited matchup between the Ohio State Buckeyes and the Kentucky Wildcats is coming true. I'm hurt. I'm torn. I'm happy. I'm excited. I have until Friday, March 25 to keep my excitement in. I've gotten some slack here in the Bluegrass about not being a "true blue" fan, so I wanted to take this opportunity to share my loyalty and explain myself for the choices I have taken:

Since perhaps the end of my high school career (when I actually started caring about sports besides the Wheelersburg Pirates), I became a fan of the Ohio State Buckeyes football team. Growing up in a "not very Buckeye-friendly" home, I decided I liked them. My mom could care less about football. And my dad always seemed to like everyone except Ohio State. Not really sure why, but I know he doesn't like all the hoopla and show-off attitude attributed to the Buckeyes. I liked them. Scarlet and Gray. The Horseshoe. Script Ohio. Hang-on Sloopy. Good stuff. They are my favorite FOOTBALL team.

Then enter college at Asbury in Wilmore, KY, location about 25 minutes from the heart of Lexington, KY, home of Rupp Arena. The Kentucky Wildcats. One cannot be an outsider living in the bluegrass and not feel the pride and dedication of Big Blue Nation. I became a fan. I love the sense of pride and community that these Kentuckians show when their team takes the court. Blue and White. Rupp. Legacy. C-A-T-S. Good stuff, too. They are my favorite BASKETBALL team.

During football season, I fully support the Ohio State Buckeyes. I have 2 scarlet and gray blankets, multiple shirts, earrings, a real Buckeye necklace, lunchbox, etc. They are my football team. I change my ringtone to their fight song in the fall. When I moved to KY, I had to get rid of my Ohio license plates. It made me a little sad. Luckily in KY you only need 1 plate on the back of your car. So I purchased an Ohio State one for the front. Now I feel that I represent both Ohio (with the OSU plate) and KY (with the "unbridled spirit" plate) on my car.

During basketball season, I fully support the Kentucky Wildcats. This takes the cake right here: I have a UK SNUGGIE! Yes, you read that correctly. I have UK pom-pons, multiple shirts, shorts, jewelry, hoodies, a bag, magnets, stationary. Just a true blue fan. They are my basketball team. Last year, while vivaciously cheering for them during March Madness, I took a lot of heat from my peeps in OH. I specifically remember wearing a UK tattoo on my face, snuggie on, pom-pons in hand, teaching my niece to spell CATS and screaming at the TV during the West Virginia game. They lost. I am still a fan.

Thus bringing us to the matchup on Friday of the Ohio State Buckeyes and the Kentucky Wildcats. Sigh. Here we go. I do enjoy following college basketball. I always fill out a bracket. Last year I was the only female at school to participate in the bracket challenge. I surprised the men. That being said, I do my homework. I keep up-to-date on ESPN and following the teams. I know that Ohio State is awesome this year. I know that UK has had some issues (so young and difficult time winning on the road), but they're getting there. I decided to go with my head and not my heart on this one. If I complete my brackets just by my favorite teams, then KY would win the whole thing. But I complete my brackets based on who really has a chance. That being said.... I have predicted the Ohio State Buckeyes to beat the Kentucky Wildcats. Will I be happy if either win? Yes. What will I be wearing? Maybe a little of both teams?

If you're still reading by now... bless you. My prediction for Friday-  OSU: 78, UK: 71

2 comments:

  1. You are crazy...but I love ya! You better be wearing the BLUE and WHITE...no scarlet or gray allowed! I hope your prediction is wrong...the cats have the heart to win! GO BIG BLUE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I empathize and support your decision. ;)

    ReplyDelete